VAFB DOCENT PROGRAM
30th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published February 28, 2021
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --
Vandenberg Air Force Base is seeking volunteer docents for the 2021 Western Snowy Plover breeding season to assist in balancing wildlife protection and visitor recreation.
The docents would specifically help to protect the threatened snowy plover from disturbance and create awareness among beach visitors to ensure the beaches remain open during the nesting season.
- Roving the beach for the purpose of making contact with beach visitors
- Educating visitors about the natural history, plight, and protection of the snowy plover
- Informing visitors about beach restriction
- Communicating with conservation law-enforcement officers when necessary
- Providing general information and assistance to visitor
- Using interpretive materials to help communicate information
Snowy Plover Docents must possess strong oral communication skills with a diversity of people, be able to work independently, and be non-confrontational. Docents must also be able to spend a majority of the time standing, walking, and/or hiking; tolerate wind, fog, cold, and blowing sand; and be comfortable around people and dogs.
Docents are needed from March 1 through September 30 at Surf Beach and Ocean Park. Any level of commitment will be appreciated. Snowy Plover Docent training will be provided. Please contact the Plover Docent Coordinator at 30CES.CEIEA.NaturalResources@us.af.mil for more information.