Local communities honor those who served
By Staff Report, 30th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published May 21, 2009
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- Local communities will take time out this Memorial Day to honor fallen military members.
Team V members are invited to attend these ceremonies and, according to one retired chief, they should.
"If we, as military members, don't remember our fallen comrades how can we expect the general public to do it," said retired Chief Master Sgt. Norm Marous, director of the Retiree Activities Office here. "Be among the few and proud (to borrow from the slogan of our Marine Corps comrades) and be there."
Ceremonies in the local area include:
- An 8:30 a.m. pre-Memorial Day service at Vandenberg's Chapel 1
- A 10 a.m. memorial service at Orcutt's Pine Grove Cemetery, off Clark Avenue at Bradley and Stubblefield Roads
- An 11 a.m. memorial service at Lompoc Cemetery, at the top of South C Street
- An 11 a.m. memorial service at Santa Maria Cemetery, off Stowell Road at College Road
- A 1 p.m. memorial service at Lompoc River Park Vietnam Memorial, off East Ocean Avenue past Home Depot
"Those of us at Vandenberg will have several great opportunities to take little more than an hour from the long weekend to honor our fallen comrades," said retired Chief Master Sgt. Norm Marous, director of the Retiree Activities Office here. "I encourage all active, Reserve, Guard and even retired members to put on your service dress uniform and join me in remembering our fallen brothers and sisters."