An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

HomeNewsArticle Display

Fitness Center kicks off 'Weight-Loss Warriors' competition

Passing the annual fit test, deployment readiness and overall good cardiovascular health should be the goals of all Airmen.  The tools to complete these goals are to build a strong aerobic base, build muscle and stick with it.  (Photo by Airman 1st Class Stephanie Longoria)

Year-round health means year-round exercise. The fitness offers an incentive with the Weigh-Loss Warriors competition. (Photo by Airman 1st Class Stephanie Longoria)

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- As spring arrives each year, TV and print news remind the public about losing that winter weight and getting a "beach body." 

But why not just keep the weight off year-round? 

To help encourage that healthy lifestyle and keep Team V summer slim, the Vandenberg Fitness Center is holding the Weight-Loss Warriors contest. Starting today and ending Jan. 6, the contest offers prizes to the top three teams with the most significant weight loss. 

"To start off weight loss warriors for the month of October there will be two activities taking place," said Isea Jones, the sports coordinator at the fitness center here. "One is going to be the intro to the cardio room and the second one is the intro to the weight room. Every month there will be at least one activity for weight loss warriors to participate in." 

Scoring will be done by team participation. Participation in the events, such as the introduction to the weight room, will count toward 25 percent of the total score. Participation in workouts will also count for 25 percent. Overall weight loss and body mass index will give the highest points, accounting for 50 percent of the total. Five points will be awarded for each event or class that is attended.

"Participation in the programs, events and classes are highly recommended but not mandatory," Mr. Jones said. "Individuals set their own goals. Our goal is to get customers comfortable working out at the gym and having a healthy lifestyle."

For more information on the contest or other fitness center programs, call 606-3832.