An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

HomeNewsArticle Display

More documentation necessary to replace, renew ID cards

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- Homeland Security Directive 12 now requires retirees and family members seeking to renew or replace a military identification card to provide two types of ID.

Retirees and family members needing identification cards must have two of the following types of current identification, one of which must include a photo:

Driver's license or ID issued by a state or outlying U.S. commonwealth or possession

ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities

School ID card with a photograph

Voter's registration card

U.S. military ID card

U.S. passport

Certificate of U.S. citizenship

Certificate of naturalization

For people younger than 18, who are unable to present a document previously listed, they may bring:

School record or report card

Clinic, doctor or hospital record

Day-care or nursery school record

The listing above is not all inclusive. A list of acceptable documents can be found at, Page 4.

Before visiting a military ID card issuing facility, people may want to call first to determine what specific documents may be required, and to verify the process to renew or replace an ID card. For contact information and the location of the nearest ID card issuing facility, visit On this Web site, people can search by city, state or ZIP code.