An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

HomeNewsArticle Display

'Building a Foundation for a Future'

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- Potential buyers observe donated gift baskets during the first half of the Spouses Club charity auction Mar. 15. An amount of 75 percent of the money goes toward a dependent scholarship fund, the remaining 25 percent is disseminated to local charities and deployed Airmen care packages. The event raised over $27,000. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Ashley Hawkins)

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- Potential buyers observe donated gift baskets during the first half of the Spouses Club charity auction Mar. 15. An amount of 75 percent of the money goes toward a dependent scholarship fund, the remaining 25 percent is disseminated to local charities and deployed Airmen care packages. The event raised over $27,000. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Ashley Hawkins)

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- The Cabrillo high school jazz ensemble performed scores of jazz music during the Spouses Club charity auction Mar 15. An amount of 75 percent of the money goes toward a dependent scholarship fund, the remaining 25 percent is disseminated to local charities and deployed Airmen care packages. The event raised over $27,000. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Ashley Hawkins)

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- The Cabrillo high school jazz ensemble performed scores of jazz music during the Spouses Club charity auction Mar 15. An amount of 75 percent of the money goes toward a dependent scholarship fund, the remaining 25 percent is disseminated to local charities and deployed Airmen care packages. The event raised over $27,000. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Ashley Hawkins)

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- The Vandenberg Spouses' Club hosted a charity auction Saturday at the Pacific Coast Club to raise money for academic scholarships and other charities.

"Of the money raised, 75 percent goes toward our military dependent scholarship fund, while the rest helps support many local charities and send care packages to deployed Airmen," said Patsy Aguirre, the VSC president. "The auction is our number one source of income."

The event, entitled 'Building a Foundation for a Future,' raised approximately $25,000 through the generosity of 200 people.

This year's auction was divided into two live auctions, which were ran by state-champion auctioneer Jim Glines, two sets of silent auctions and a cake auction. The sale presented buyers with myriad gift baskets, framed artwork, wines, baked goods and trips to San Diego, San Francisco and even Las Vegas.

Potential buyers were serenaded by the Cabrillo High School Jazz Ensemble, who played while people bid on items placed in the silent auction, Mrs. Aguirre said.

"We were very happy with the turnout of the auction," said Tina Kandle, the VSC charity auction chairman. "It is a real testament to the support that Vandenberg gives the club, and that the club gives Vandenberg."

The auction is a vehicle that the club uses to support military families at Vandenberg. The success of the auction exemplifies their year-round hard work and dedication to making the military lifestyle easier.